Tuesday 24 March 2015

Almost there

Blog 3: Today, I am going to a village that is a few miles away from Chongqing. They are hosting a yearly festival which will have many local dances, food, rituals, and stuff like that. I am meeting up with the cook for the festival, who also happens to know Hiashi Kung even though Hiashi doesn't live in this village. He will show me how to make a food. Hi, I am Hai Kai and I am going to show you how to make the gods favorite food, 3 types dumplings. I include 3 types of food. The right mixture of duck meat, vegetables like spinach, chopped carrots, citrus, lettuce, herbs, and spices. I also make the pasta outside here! We religiously make a little boat out of sticks, put one of each of our dumplings, and then send the boat down the river. We think that these please the gods so that they don't put sicknesses, natural disasters, and wars into our land. One year we forgot to put them out and we got two miserable floods and an earthquake. Would you like to try one. Gladly, I said. Tonight, we will send them out. Later that night, the lanterns lit up the sky like stars on a clear night. We all did a chant to the rhythm of the Yangtze and sat the dumpling on the boat. We kept chanting until the boat couldn't be seen and was gone. I fell into the bed in Si Hai's house, who happens to have the biggest house of the whole town.

No comments:

Post a Comment