Tuesday 24 March 2015

Journey down the Yangtze: More of Wuhan


I woke up in the ship, and decided that I was ready for another day in Wuhan. I will soon be traveling to Yueyang, so I wanted to spend as much time as I can in Wuhan exploring. Wuhan sits right in between the two rivers of Hanjiang, and of course, the Yangtze. Today, I am going to visit the Yellow Crane tower, a tower that was built by Sun Quan himself, for his army. The Tower was built to be sort of a watchtower, and station for soldiers in Sun Quan and Liu Bei’s army. The tower is still pretty active today, and I was on my way to see just how active it was. When I arrived at the tower, the first thing I noticed was how beautiful it was. It was so colorful, and so intricate. I  couldn’t keep my eyes off it. Sure enough, there were many soldiers roaming around. I went up to one of the soldiers, and asked if I could ask him some questions about being a soldier, and the war itself. The first thing I asked was if he was on duty. He said that he wasn’t. He was a retired soldier, who just came to visit the warzone. I asked him when he had served as a soldier, and he said he began serving as a soldier in 220, when China was first separated into it’s three kingdoms. I asked him if he remembered the Yellow Crane tower being built, and he said he remembered it like it was yesterday. The tower was built in 223, and he clearly remembered first walking into it. He said it brought back many memories. I thanked him for his time, then headed off. I made one last stop in Wuhan to see a Taoist Temple. I met one of the Taoists in the temple. I asked him a lot about his religion. A question I asked was what some of the  the Taoism beliefs were. He said that Taoists believe everything in the universe is connected. He also said that Taoism is centered around Yin and Yang, a symbol in which two different forces connect and form balance. After I left the temple, it was time to head down the Yangtze river to Yueyang. Wuhan was fun exploring, and I can’t wait to explore Yueyang.

No comments:

Post a Comment